Sunday, October 30, 2011

To Hoonah

So I spent a few days in Juneau, but then it was time to continue on to my destination. On Monday morning I went to the ferry terminal. I was really nervous, partly because I was finally on my way to Hoonah, but mostly because I am afraid of big ships. I walked on the boat and found a place to sit down.

The view from my seat. 
I sat down next to this really nice lady. We began to talk and to my luck I found out that she is also a Physical Education teacher. She teaches Physical Education at UAS (the university in Juneau). She was so nice and helpful. She and her friend took me on a tour of the ferry and bought me breakfast. She gave me her email address and helped me to know what I needed to be teaching to meet the Alaska standards.




Unfortunately it was pouring rain the entire 3 1/2 hour trip. I saw one whale but couldn't see it very well because it was raining so hard. I met one of my future students, and a guy named Rickey D that works for the ferry system. He introduced me to the women that work at the ferry terminal. I was blessed again. The lady that worked at the ferry terminal also happened to be my landlord. She drove me straight over to my apartment and gave me a short tour of Hoonah. Everyone in Alaska is so nice.

 view from the deck
Coming up on Icy Strait Point in Hoonah. 
Obviously I took this from inside the ferry because it was raining so hard. 
 A cruise ship was in town. 

The ferry terminal.


 My friend Rickey D from the ferry. 

Oops, a rain drop on my camera lens.

This is my very first view of Hoonah as I got off the ferry. 



Hoonah, my new home!

No comments:

Post a Comment